MTHFR Gene Test
So uplifting after going to see Chiara’s Naturopath today.. there is so much opportunity to support Chiara’s brain function and overall health and wellbeing through diet, lifestyle and supplements. Lot’s of information to share, but will contain this post to MTHFR….
WTF is MTHFR? 😉
Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) is an inherited genetic variant which prevents the body, including the brain, from being able to properly use folic acid. The MTHFR gene mutation affects a process known as methylation, which means how the body process B vitamins. B vitamins act as co-factors in key enzymes that produce and balance neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
Chiara’s Naturopath suggested we do this test, and Chiara’s results have confirmed that she has both MTHFR gene mutations C677T & A1298C. Chiara is heterozygous for the gene, meaning she has one copy of both the C677T & A1298C genes. So it’s a bit of a double-whammy for her, suggesting that she has approx 70% reduced ability to convert folic acid (inactive form) into folinic acid (active form).
Why do we need to be able to convert folic acid into its active form? – for nervous system development, brain function, cell growth, cell division. Given Chiara carries both genes, it gives her a reduced ability to methylate. Methylation is a very strong detoxification process in the body, helps detoxify the brain, the heart, the kidneys, the liver, the lungs, the bowel. So based on Chiara’s test results, she has a reduced capacity to methylate and detoxify.
Dr Ben’s site is amazing – look here for more info http://mthfr.net
So what now? The good news, is that it can be treated. We have added folinic acid and activated B’s into her supplement regime. So if all goes to plan, we should be improving Chiara’s overall brain function and overall growth and development, on top of helping her detoxification process…
Now the only WTF question I have left is – why isn’t this a standardized test for children, especially those of special needs? It seems so vital, in optimising their ability to reach their full healthy potential.. starting from scratch.. from the inside out…
A good easy read here for people that carry the gene:
Our Health Goals for Chiara:
- Support digestive system health to increase nutrients absorption from food. Support normal digestive juices, ensure a healthy balance of bacteria throughout the digestive tract to support healthy waste elimination.
- Provide nutrients for healthy nervous system function and growth. Omega 3, essential fatty acids, vitamin D, magnesium, B vitamins and protein.
- Remove irritants from diet (mainly gluten and dairy). Ensure a healthy balance of food and nutrients to support energy, reduce inflammation and improve healing and repair.
- DNA testing to determine best dietary plan for health
- Use almond, macadamia, cashew or coconut milk.
- Ensure each meal contains a mix of protein, healthy fats and healthy carbohydrates.
- Increase lean protein and good quality fat. Add coconut oil into meals where possible, or drizzle meals in oil – olive, avocado or macadamia oil.
- Bone broth / Green smoothies / Kombucha
- Here are two amazing resources for gluten free cooking: http://thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/ffg & http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au
Supplements at the moment for little C:
- Vitamin D:
- Flora Care for kids:
- Fish Oils:
- Activated B:
- Folinic Acid:
- Digestive Enzymes:
- Magnesium citrate:
The journey continues…wooo ooooo…. xo